Re: Things are not like they used to be.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sup-rbeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The truth is, until about 12 years ago, PV had no 4 year seniors, cuz you weren't varsity til 10th grade. Before the teams that featured the Joneses, PV played a hard nosed game with half the talent of this year's team but 3 times the football players. Maybe you can't remember that, or teams stepping on the field against teams from upstate that were bigger and faster...and overcoming and winning. I cut no slack to PV cuz they have been to 2 state final fours or anything else. I played with a group that couldn't compete with this year's team in a track meet, but would destroy them on the gridiron. Hell, my bunch only had 3 varsity years, and brought home 2 trophies will less athletic talent. So, I cut PV no slack...but that's how it is. </div></div>
We were talking about that today before you left to go eat lol
Re: Things are not like they used to be.
Can't/won't argue with you, but life's far more than wins/losses, performance on the field, etc. Teach the kids character, motivate them to always strive for the best, teach them to be a team player, the importance of mentor/mentoree, etc. These lessons are for life, and can effectively be taught through the discipline of football. And even though you've only been out of HS a few years, trust me when I say that the lives of our teens are changing daily at an almost exponential rate - and these changes are for the worse in most instances. You played with one young man who was a stellar player, and IMO, the coaching staff allowed him to fall through the cracks. And that's the crap that really sets me off. And the reason I'm so adamant about teaching these young men the lessons that are bigger than life - just use the practice field as the classroom.
Re: Things are not like they used to be.
Central of Lunenburg was the Giles/Gretna/GC/Goochland team of their day...they dropped in 80 and for a 10 year stretch, I don't know that they didn't go to the finals. Saying so and so dropped is no excuse...D2 hasn't changed much...but the heart and want to of the players has...along with the coaching philosophy. Look at the 10 years prior to the Joneses and the 9 years since...there is no comparison. BTW Thomas and Julius came to be after PV was already a dynasty. As far as Barry goes, he was the best coach I ever played for...and if PV is teaching the same things they were 20 years ago, the Oline would be lining up in a 3point stance and drive blocking...and they haven't done that for 4-5 years.
Re: Things are not like they used to be.
He's right about the teaching part.Life can be like fb in alot of ways.IF you ever played YOU KNOW.
Re: Things are not like they used to be.
Oh yes, I agree 110% heart and work ethic has a lot to do with it. At the same time if your coaching the group of guys that were on that team, would you really be wanting to line up and run the ball? I wouldn't, we went to that offense because we had the best QB we'd had since Duncan and great skill players. If we get a line a fully support returing to the running sets. As for boney some responsibilty falls on the shoulders of the parents, a coach can only do so much.
Re: Things are not like they used to be.
That's the smallest PV line I've ever seen. They don't have a single dominant OL that you'd imagine ever being a better than average run blocker.
A side note, that game tonight changed when Pinkston went out.
Re: Things are not like they used to be.
True, a coach can only do so much...but do that "much" and nothing else can be expected of him. Yes, the bulk of the load falls on the shoulders of the parents, but parents aren't invited onto the field, and that's the jist of this discussion.
Re: Things are not like they used to be.
PV has never had a QB to compare with Duncan. But yeah, I'd have taught them the ol I and option out of it...along with the bootleg passes, and potshots down the field. You have a QB built for it, a good FB..various options at TB and WR..and you'd have an aggressive OL...there is no doubt they would have went farther that way.
Re: Things are not like they used to be.
pvfan, good talking to you today and thanks for supporting us
Re: Things are not like they used to be.
I know of a PV OL that averaged 225 tackle to tackle...size means nothing.